Monday 23 March 2009

John Martyn.

Anyone that saw the John Martyn programme on BBC4 recently would have witnessed what a truly remarkable artist john was.

Sadly John passed away on January 29th this year.

Known for musical marriage of folk and jazz, Martyn was one of the most distinctive and prolific artists of his generation. His most successful album was 1973's Solid Air.

For much of his career, Martyn enjoyed a lifestyle of typical rock'n'roll excess and later struggled with alcoholism. He once told Q Magazine: "If I could control myself more, I think the music would be much less interesting. I'd probably be a great deal richer but I'd have had far less fun and I'd be making really dull music." In 2003 his right leg was partially amputated after a large cyst under his knee burst, leading him to spend his latter years in a wheelchair.

He was an exceptional talent and will be sadly missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment